OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

zoom issue

3 posters

Go down

zoom issue Empty zoom issue

Post  gianlucab81 Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:48 pm

i converted some ozi maps into oruxmaps maps..but i have a strange behavior in zoom..

in fact i can't see a the fullscreen map if the zoom is less than 60%

here the screen shots
zoom issue Snapshots
zoom issue Snapshot1xn

as u can see..in the 20% zoom map, there is many empty space.

can i fix this?

Thank you!

gianlucab81

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

zoom issue Empty Re: zoom issue

Post  orux Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:51 pm

gianlucab81 wrote:i converted some ozi maps into oruxmaps maps..but i have a strange behavior in zoom..

in fact i can't see a the fullscreen map if the zoom is less than 60%

as u can see..in the 20% zoom map, there is many empty space.

can i fix this?

Thank you!

Hi,t is not a bug, it is a limitation. OruxMaps can not handle > 9 tiles.

Zoom below 60% has no sense, unless you want to see entire a track/rute, but not the map.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  gianlucab81 Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:59 pm

is there any workaround to see the entire track?

btw, it seems that downloading a google map area from the phone, this 9 tiles issue is not present..

gianlucab81

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  alessand Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:43 pm

not very related to this , but i think that may be cool to have "pinch to zoom" feature (multitouch) as many other apps.

alessand

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:53 pm

gianlucab81 wrote:
is there any workaround to see the entire track?

btw, it seems that downloading a google map area from the phone, this 9 tiles issue is not present..

Hi;

No, if you want to see the entire track, you have to use the zoom.

There are two different zooms:
--from layer to layer (example, from zoom 12@100% to zoom 13@100%).
--digital zoom, when the map has no layers, or oruxmaps reaches the first/last layer, and there is no other map which contains current point (example, from zoom 12@100% to 12@120%). The 9 tiles problem only happens with digital zoom, below xx@60% zoom level.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  jluers Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:00 am

I've been having this same problem of the map not filling the screen and I found this post.
Has a resolution or a workagound been found?

It is described as a ">9 tile limitation". It seems to me that when I'm zoomed to less than 60% only 9 tiles (3x3) or less are needed to fill the screen, not >9. ??

I create topo maps for hiking and a very fine detail is needed. It is often necessary to zoom out to see the topology of the surrounding terrain (mountains etc) to get your bearing. This limitation is causing a real problem.

Any suggestion if gretly appreciated.
Thanks

jluers

Cantidad de envíos : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:21 pm

jluers wrote:I've been having this same problem of the map not filling the screen and I found this post.
Has a resolution or a workagound been found?

It is described as a ">9 tile limitation". It seems to me that when I'm zoomed to less than 60% only 9 tiles (3x3) or less are needed to fill the screen, not >9. ??

I create topo maps for hiking and a very fine detail is needed. It is often necessary to zoom out to see the topology of the surrounding terrain (mountains etc) to get your bearing. This limitation is causing a real problem.

Any suggestion if gretly appreciated.
Thanks

Yes; use the last version of OruxMapsDesktop and create the maps with 'multilayer' option.

20% -->42 tiles (Nexus)
10% -->170 tiles
5% -->800 tiles

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  jluers Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:03 am

I went ahead and tried the Multilayer option using 50% and I can now zoom in a little more however the behavior was flakey, getting stripes through the map and blank screens as I panned around the map.

I found a couple of How To examples but they used Mobile Atlas Creator and did not really explain what multilayer maps are or how they work. I'm not using MobAC but make the maps from scratch (USGS data, Global Mapper, MapEdit and export to OZI .bmp/.map format files).

What is the proper way to use MultiLayer?

thx

jluers

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:31 pm

jluers wrote:I went ahead and tried the Multilayer option using 50% and I can now zoom in a little more however the behavior was flakey, getting stripes through the map and blank screens as I panned around the map.

I found a couple of How To examples but they used Mobile Atlas Creator and did not really explain what multilayer maps are or how they work. I'm not using MobAC but make the maps from scratch (USGS data, Global Mapper, MapEdit and export to OZI .bmp/.map format files).

What is the proper way to use MultiLayer?

thx

Hi;

how large is the map you are trying to create?

I will check if there is a bug, but you simply have to select the different zoom levels. Then create the map.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  jluers Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:57 am

My OZI format .bmp files are 3.9 GB, after I convert them using OruxMapsDesktop they are 29 MB .map files.

How does multilayer work?
Do I just select the option and a zoom level and convert the map? Or, do I need to create multiple maps of the same area and select a different zoom level for each??

Thanks

jluers

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:29 pm

jluers wrote:My OZI format .bmp files are 3.9 GB, after I convert them using OruxMapsDesktop they are 29 MB .map files.

How does multilayer work?
Do I just select the option and a zoom level and convert the map? Or, do I need to create multiple maps of the same area and select a different zoom level for each??

Thanks

Hi;

The size, in pixels?

You must create one map with different zoom levels, an example:
zoom issue Pantallazooruxmapsdeskt

A map with 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5% zoom levels.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  jluers Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:03 am

Orux,
Thanks for your help. I'm able to zoom OUT further now. I still get some blank areas, I don't have the pixel size of my image sincwe GPSMapEdit doesn't give the size and I don't have a problram that can open the bmp files that large.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned earlier, it does not work very well to zoom out that far. The map image is not usable because the lines are too faint and too close together.

So I'm looking for anotyher solution and believe that a true multi-layer map (where a different image can be displayed at different zoom levels) is the answer. The only instructions I see use MobAC which looks like it can only get data online. Is there a way for MobAC to read a Map Source off your hard drive. All my maps are there since I made them myself from raw Shapefile and geotiff data.

Or, is there a way to manually make a multilayer map from several individual maps?

Thanks!

jluers

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:39 pm

jluers wrote:Orux,
Thanks for your help. I'm able to zoom OUT further now. I still get some blank areas, I don't have the pixel size of my image sincwe GPSMapEdit doesn't give the size and I don't have a problram that can open the bmp files that large.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned earlier, it does not work very well to zoom out that far. The map image is not usable because the lines are too faint and too close together.

So I'm looking for anotyher solution and believe that a true multi-layer map (where a different image can be displayed at different zoom levels) is the answer. The only instructions I see use MobAC which looks like it can only get data online. Is there a way for MobAC to read a Map Source off your hard drive. All my maps are there since I made them myself from raw Shapefile and geotiff data.

Or, is there a way to manually make a multilayer map from several individual maps?

Thanks!

Hi;

MOBAC works only with online sources.

I will test with large images + OruxMapsDesktop to see if I find bugs.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  jluers Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:22 am

I thought so. Crying or Very sad

Is there some way to manually create a multi-layer map? Using a hex-editor to edit a map to assign a layer to it? Or writing a file that descibed the layer behavior?? I have no idea what the mechanism is for displaying a map at a specific zoom so I can only guess at some possible methods.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would realy like to be able to do this manually. THX

jluers

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:40 pm

jluers wrote:
I thought so. Crying or Very sad

Is there some way to manually create a multi-layer map? Using a hex-editor to edit a map to assign a layer to it? Or writing a file that descibed the layer behavior?? I have no idea what the mechanism is for displaying a map at a specific zoom so I can only guess at some possible methods.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would realy like to be able to do this manually. THX

Hi;

Do you know Gimp? It is a very good program to edit images. I think you will be able to open one of your large maps, then convert to png or jpg.

Then may be you can share the map with me in dropbox or similar.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  jluers Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:30 am

I was able to open the .bmp with Global Mapper and export it as a jpg. It is 42216 x 33222 pixels.

... so there is no way to either edit a .map file and assign a zoom/layer to it? Or to get MobAC to open a local file??

Thanks for all your assistance!

jluers

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:59 pm

jluers wrote:I was able to open the .bmp with Global Mapper and export it as a jpg. It is 42216 x 33222 pixels.

... so there is no way to either edit a .map file and assign a zoom/layer to it? Or to get MobAC to open a local file??

Thanks for all your assistance!

Hi; OruxMaps can not work with larger image files, so OruxMapsDesktop splits the images into small tiles.

Could you share the jpg + map with me?

dropbox, fileshare,.....

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  jluers Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Sent a link to you via PM.
j

jluers