OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

overlaying relief map to offline map

5 posters

Go down

overlaying relief map to offline map Empty overlaying relief map to offline map

Post  joze Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi,

I downloaded hgt files from http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html and placed them into the dem folder.

This enabled relief map correctly (but with ugly green colors).

What I'd find pretty useful would be an overlay of this relief map (e.g. in gray colors) to an existing offline map (with some transparency on one of the maps).

Would this be possible?

joze

Cantidad de envíos : 4

Back to top Go down

overlaying relief map to offline map Empty Re: overlaying relief map to offline map

Post  Icarus Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 am

To fix 'ugly green colors', you can change the Relief map max. elevation. This should bias the coloring to suit the elevations in your part of the world.

Go to Settings - Maps - Relief map max. elevation and lower the value.

Icarus

Cantidad de envíos : 104

Back to top Go down

overlaying relief map to offline map Empty Re: overlaying relief map to offline map

Post  joze Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Icarus wrote:To fix 'ugly green colors', you can change the Relief map max. elevation. This should bias the coloring to suit the elevations in your part of the world.

Go to Settings - Maps - Relief map max. elevation and lower the value.

Thanks -- this changes the colors indeed.

What I really want is to overlay some relief shaded map (preferably in gray) to an existing (even vector) map, where the relief shading should be done due to the dem / hgt files.
Is this possible?

joze

Back to top Go down

Post  Icarus Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Not yet.... but Orux has been very accommodating with incorporating new ideas.

The closest you can get at the moment is overlaying KML/KMZ on the Relief map.

Icarus

Cantidad de envíos : 104

Back to top Go down

overlaying relief map to offline map Empty why are there no layers for offline maps?

Post  joze Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Icarus wrote:Not yet.... but Orux has been very accommodating with incorporating new ideas.

The closest you can get at the moment is overlaying KML/KMZ on the Relief map.

I guess as a first approach it would be already great, if oruxmaps would provide layers for offline maps with individual adjustable transparency for each map.

This way I could download or generate hillshading map and combine it with say a vector map.

Layers seem to be available for online maps but not for offline maps. Why is this so?

joze

Back to top Go down

Post  eartrumpet Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 pm

I'd also think that would be great, especially for maps like openandromaps.

I already tried an kml overlay which has an embeded transparent png with hill shading, but it doesn't show up. Oruxmaps seems not to support PNGs in kml (as in the kml specification). That would be an rather easy solution, or even better the relief map so I don't have to generate the kml layers.

eartrumpet

Cantidad de envíos : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  joze Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:59 pm

hillshading != relief

relief is coloring according to the height, whereas hillshading is the gradient (or derivative of the height, as it depends on the direction).

joze

Back to top Go down

Post  eartrumpet Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:49 am

That's right. But both things help in the goal to easy distinguish higher and lower elevations on first sight without looking too closely at contour lines (which are better for gradients anyway).

eartrumpet

Cantidad de envíos : 8

Back to top Go down

overlaying relief map to offline map Empty +1

Post  Jarny Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:54 pm

joze wrote:What I'd find pretty useful would be an overlay of this relief map (e.g. in gray colors) to an existing offline map (with some transparency on one of the maps).

I also find it very usefull if we can overlay transparent colorized/gray heightmaps or reliefmaps over the offline/online maps. It it easier to plan my next target on a map if I can clearly see the hills and valleys which are lying between me and the target.
It would be great if we can do this at the standard map view and not in a seperate view (like 3d view)

best regards
Jarny

Jarny

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  RichZ Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:08 pm

obviously that would be very useful.

If it is too difficult to implement than maybe we could code some scripts to export OSM data to kml format suitable for overlaying the relief maps?

Osmlib does that in principle - http://osmlib.rubyforge.org/osmlib-export/rdoc/index.html

Last edited by RichZ on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)

RichZ

Cantidad de envíos : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down