OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Searching for Street Names

3 posters

Go down

Searching for Street Names Empty Searching for Street Names

Post  Architek Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi!

I'm a complete OpenStreetMap & OruxMaps noob.

Is there any way to search for specific street names? e.g. search for "Sunrise Avenue" and jump to that street on the map.
Is that possible?

Thanks!

Architek

Back to top Go down

Searching for Street Names Empty Re: Searching for Street Names

Post  Psycogeek Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:54 am

i am new to Orux, but familliar with some of the nuances of a Picture based map.
when the maps are just pictures, there is no actual street names anywhere, unless one was to apply OCR (optical charachter recognition) , and that would be really fun with these 6 point crooked names that are barely readable to begin with :-)
the names you see are not loose data, it is in the picture itself.
so Picture not equal to vector points and names data. the Picture is much better for other things.

it is far better for that style of map stuff your asking for to use a driving map that uses vectors , co-pilot n-drive Igo, tomtom, garmin, majellen, and all that kind of stuff.
OR
to link back to the web to find coordinates for the Names, which are then used to show you the picture in the correct location. making it not very standalone, and useless when there is no web.
OR
to have a massive name search database, that links back to the picture coordinates, that someone would have to make, or you would have to fill, or would have to be snagged from other sources, and would be quite a quantity of data
OR
you can already make waypoints at locations you want to search, and name these waypoints for the street you put them on. then search for those waypoints.
or
you link 100% to google maps , and use all thier data, which includes pictures and vectors and names, and cross coordinate name search databases. then why not just use google :-) because trying to get thier whole server in your phone , well it is possible, but besides the licencing issues, it isnt very practical.

Picture vrses Vector. the advantages of map programs like Orux, is it is all picture based, so not just roads, and ashfault jungles are there, everything that does not get mapped out by teleatlas and navtech and the road people, is accessable. the paper maps can be turned into trackable gps picture maps. the little park maps, that arent on google can be put in as picture data. a marine specific map, a map from 1845 could be scanned in. A special Tour map of the stars , just about anything that is a picture can be stuffed in, because it is a moving picture.
layered maps of different styles like topo here and street there.

sooo, it is all possible, it just isnt practical , when there are road programs in plenty with that stuff already in them, all legal and proper to use, and designed for that purpose, and that dont Quit when they are 5 seconds out of range of a web.

when i go on the road, i use road maps, as soon as i get off the road, or even out of the car, the street map is practically useless, as soon as i get on the trail, the web is gone. that is where having gps scrollable picture maps comes in best. for those who never leave the machine, it is when they go off-road. For the Mobile people who know that web does not exist everywhere, because they have been there.

Psycogeek

Cantidad de envíos : 53

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Psycogeek wrote:i am new to Orux, but familliar with some of the nuances of a Picture based map.
when the maps are just pictures, there is no actual street names anywhere, unless one was to apply OCR (optical charachter recognition) , and that would be really fun with these 6 point crooked names that are barely readable to begin with :-)
the names you see are not loose data, it is in the picture itself.
so Picture not equal to vector points and names data. the Picture is much better for other things.

it is far better for that style of map stuff your asking for to use a driving map that uses vectors , co-pilot n-drive Igo, tomtom, garmin, majellen, and all that kind of stuff.
OR
to link back to the web to find coordinates for the Names, which are then used to show you the picture in the correct location. making it not very standalone, and useless when there is no web.
OR
to have a massive name search database, that links back to the picture coordinates, that someone would have to make, or you would have to fill, or would have to be snagged from other sources, and would be quite a quantity of data
OR
you can already make waypoints at locations you want to search, and name these waypoints for the street you put them on. then search for those waypoints.
or
you link 100% to google maps , and use all thier data, which includes pictures and vectors and names, and cross coordinate name search databases. then why not just use google :-) because trying to get thier whole server in your phone , well it is possible, but besides the licencing issues, it isnt very practical.

Picture vrses Vector. the advantages of map programs like Orux, is it is all picture based, so not just roads, and ashfault jungles are there, everything that does not get mapped out by teleatlas and navtech and the road people, is accessable. the paper maps can be turned into trackable gps picture maps. the little park maps, that arent on google can be put in as picture data. a marine specific map, a map from 1845 could be scanned in. A special Tour map of the stars , just about anything that is a picture can be stuffed in, because it is a moving picture.
layered maps of different styles like topo here and street there.

sooo, it is all possible, it just isnt practical , when there are road programs in plenty with that stuff already in them, all legal and proper to use, and designed for that purpose, and that dont Quit when they are 5 seconds out of range of a web.

when i go on the road, i use road maps, as soon as i get off the road, or even out of the car, the street map is practically useless, as soon as i get on the trail, the web is gone. that is where having gps scrollable picture maps comes in best. for those who never leave the machine, it is when they go off-road. For the Mobile people who know that web does not exist everywhere, because they have been there.

Hi;

OruxMaps can use google geocoding to search names.

In the map viewer, use your device 'search button'. Then create a wpt in that point.

But If your device does not have 'search button' you will have to wait to next version,

Searching for Street Names Device98

Searching for Street Names Device99

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  BpACKer Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:22 pm

I just tried this and it worked! Thanks! Very Happy
BpACKer
BpACKer