OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS fix failing

4 posters

Go down

GPS fix failing Empty GPS fix failing

Post  Icarus Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi Orux,

I report two issues you may wish to investigate -

1. I've noticed on occasions that the GPS fix seems to fail but with no visual indications in OruxMaps that this is the case.
I'm using a Galaxy S2 with a clear view of the sky and a different GPS receiver nearby gets a good signal. Satellite reception is not the problem.
The cursor is still visible but not moving (this is in an aircraft going quite fast). After some few minutes delay it will eventually start tracking as expected.

I suspect it may be some interface problem between the Android location service and OruxMaps and the moving map appears to get 'bogged down'.

2. In the above circumstance, the pilot is presented with a cursor location that is very wrong. This can be quite confusing and potentially dangerous.

While the ideal solution is to fix the problem described above, an additional feature is requested to provide a visual indication that the cursor is invalid. This might take the form of a large cross that appears through the cursor if a GPS position has not been updated in the last (x) seconds. The (x) seconds would be configurable in settings depending on the criticality of the activity.

Icarus

Cantidad de envíos : 104

Back to top Go down

GPS fix failing Empty Re: GPS fix failing

Post  sasapunc Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 am

Did you find any solution to firs issue?

sasapunc

Cantidad de envíos : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  pelleoss Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:44 pm

I confirm the problem @ point 2.
Today for example, Orux said gps was fixed and started to track but it had an offset of ~1km. After 20minutes it magically started to track without any offset.
To be honest I'm having lots of problems with gps fixing...

Point 1 was an issue for me with old orux version (I used 4.8 until 1 month ago).  During logging mode sometimes orux simply stopped to track and it resumed again only turning on the screen.
No issue with rev 5.
pelleoss
pelleoss

Cantidad de envíos : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:48 pm

pelleoss wrote:I confirm the problem @ point 2.
Today for example, Orux said gps was fixed and started to track but it had an offset of ~1km. After 20minutes it magically started to track without any offset.
To be honest I'm having lots of problems with gps fixing...

Point 1 was an issue for me with old orux version (I used 4.8 until 1 month ago).  During logging mode sometimes orux simply stopped to track and it resumed again only turning on the screen.
No issue with rev 5.

Hi;

You will know the gps is not receiving valid positions if you see that the gps icon is blinking in the android status bar.

There is an alarm indicating that the GPS is not receiving signal, (oruxmaps settings--gps) but the minimum value is two minutes, it is not intended for situations like you describe. I am going to reduce that valute to one minute.

But I remember that oruxmaps is NOT a professional application for flight, it should not be used as the main instrument for this type of activities. I can not offer any guarantees, there is such a message when you install the application.

To avoid bad gps fixes, set 'minumum time' to zero seconds in settings--gps.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum