OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3D shading

+2
Icarus
petesx
6 posters

Go down

3D shading Empty 3D shading

Post  petesx Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Orux,
Fantastic app and Thank You!
One request - Could you program shadows in to 3d map view? If there aren't many features on an area of map it's difficult to see the hills and valleys away from the edge of the 3d view.
I think ideally a choice of east or west light source would be great but any low angle light source would make it easier to visualise the change in height.
Thanks in advance,
Pete

petesx

Cantidad de envíos : 5

Back to top Go down

3D shading Empty Re: 3D shading

Post  Icarus Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi Orux,

I second petesx on the use of shadows to highlight vertical relief.

Also as an option you might consider colourised DEM as an effective way to create a map without any cultural features. The screen shots are created from purely DTED data (.hgt or .hdr would work equally well).

This is 2D colourised DTED -

3D shading RenderedDTED2D

And this is 3D colourised DTED -

3D shading RenderedDTED3D

The software application in use has the following interface to set colour breakouts -

3D shading DTEDMapControls

Something to consider?

Icarus

Cantidad de envíos : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Icarus wrote:Hi Orux,

Also as an option you might consider colourised DEM as an effective way to create a map without any cultural features. The screen shots are created from purely DTED data (.hgt or .hdr would work equally well).

The software application in use has the following interface to set colour breakouts -

Something to consider?

We are near Smile

3D shading Device10

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Icarus Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:54 am

Great job on the Relief Map! The only suggestion is that 0' elevations are rendered in blue to better delineate sea/coast.

3D shading Coastline

There will be irregular areas where this doesn't work well (Netherlands perhaps?), but overall should give good coastline definition.

Icarus

Cantidad de envíos : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDuke Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:19 am

orux wrote:
Icarus wrote:Hi Orux,

Something to consider?

We are near Smile

3D shading Device10

orux

Hallo,
What is that ? Fraktal Graphics ?
For what can i need this confused

Who need this, he can make a map with this view.

TheDuke

TheDuke

Cantidad de envíos : 41

Back to top Go down

3D shading Empty solar shading

Post  captain paranoia Fri May 17, 2013 12:44 pm

Having been playing with OruxMaps for a couple of weeks, firstly, I would like to say 'bravo! a fantastic piece of work', and secondly, I'd also like to see 3D relief shading, in particular solar shading, and this makes reading relief a lot easier.

I've played with solar shading using LandSerf in the past, and have merged OSGB mapping images and solar relief shading to create composite, relief-shaded map tiles, using a very manual process. The problem with raster images is, of course, that we need to be able to add shading for the relief, and this shading can obscure the map detail, or, if the map is superimposed on the relief, the raster image can obscure the shading. I used transparency settings in raster GIF tiles, setting the background 'white' of the OSGB map tiles to be the transparent colour, and laid these tiles over a grey-scaled solar relief image from LandSerf. Here's an example:

3D shading Example_relief_qf90

As you can see, it's far from perfect, as the transaprency detection doesn't work perfectly (due to the aliasing on edges), and areas of solid colour (such as the woodland) obscure the relief shading. But it's not too bad.

Solar relief shading is quite computationally intensive; probably about the same as generating relief mapping or 3D terrain modelling, but you manage to do both of those quite well Very Happy

I guess one way of achieving this would be to allow dynamic merging of mapping layers, with transparency control (i.e. displaying 3d_relief and cartographic tiles, either in real time, or from cache).

captain paranoia

Cantidad de envíos : 9

Back to top Go down

3D shading Empty sun angle

Post  captain paranoia Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 pm

ps. OSGB used to print 'Tourist Maps', which had solar shading, and they used a sun position of 315 degrees. Which you will never get in the UK...

Whilst playing with LandSerf, I tried different sun angles, but I found that the OS had got it right; 315 degrees gives a picture that 'looks right'. I notice the earlier examples on this page also used 315 degrees. The brain is a funny thing...

captain paranoia

Back to top Go down

Post  captain paranoia Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 pm

> OSGB used to print 'Tourist Maps', which had solar shading, and they used a sun position of 315 degrees. Which you will never get in the UK...

Hmmm... that's not necessarily true. I had foolishly thought that the sun never rises above the W-E meridian, but I realised that's wrong when I remembered where the sun rises on summer mornings; to the north of my house... So I thought about it a bit, and it became very obvious. Then I found a nice website that gives sun rise/fall times, and plots the bearings on GoogleMaps:

NOAA sunrise/sunset calculator

captain paranoia

Back to top Go down

3D shading Empty Phong shading

Post  borish Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:34 pm

You could use the DEM data to compute normal vectors, then compute the scalar product between the normal and a light vector and use Phong shading. This is easy to implement and quite fast.

borish

Cantidad de envíos : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum