OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4.7 beta and Geocaching

2 posters

Go down

4.7 beta and Geocaching Empty 4.7 beta and Geocaching

Post  febs Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:58 pm

I am beta-testing the new release.
Two quick notes:

At first run, I opened the "offline maps", I checked one among the available ones, and after some time "the application crashed". That happened only the first time.

Second; I wanted to test the new stuff about geocaching (read, loading of .loc files). I don't know what happens behind the scene, but when I use "c:geo" (that is a free tool for geocaching) I have the chance to "navigate" a waypoint. If I pick it, it ask for a program to use, and I chose Oruxmaps beta. If I remember it right, the following behavior was the same also with previous versions:

* If Oruxmaps was open already and running, it gets into the foreground (I mean, it becomes the active program) but its position remains in the latest one. In other words, I live in Italy, I was browsing around maps with Oruxmaps beta and I ended up over Nigeria.
Then I opened c:geo, I poke a cache nearby, I choose Oruxmaps beta to navigate a cache, Oruxmaps beta opened and it was still showing Nigeria.

*If Oruxmaps were previously NOT OPENED, it gets open exactly in the right spot. This (correct, at least that it points to the right place) behavior happens also if I just close the map view and I am in the Orux dashboard. Again, with other words: browse maps with orux, press "back" twice to exit map viewer, and get to the dashboard. Leave it there in the background, open c:geo, pick a cache, "navigate" it using Orux, a map in Orux gets loaded in the right position.

It would be nice also to have the facility to have a waypoint created (maybe automatically, if there isn't one already, or maybe asking to the user). I don't know what c:geo passes to Oruxmaps, but if there is any info attached to the coordinates, it could be awesome to use them (for instance, the name of the cache as the label for the waypoint).

From "c:geo" the "share link to cache" option still doesn't allow Oruxmaps among the valid programs. I don't know if that is feasible since I think it's some metadata (a Title, and the like) AND a HTTP link to coord.info. Many other services are allowed to be used (for instance, email or SMS, or springpad) but not a web browser.
If send the link via another app actually, like Springpad, and then try to open it again from there, I am offered to open it through any web browser OR the c:geo app itself.
If I finally choose any browser, in that window (if I am logged in) I am offered to download the .LOC file, then it works! Orux gets opened automatically and asks me for navigation options to that waypoint.

I hope this can be useful.

Cheers.

febs

Cantidad de envíos : 139

Back to top Go down

4.7 beta and Geocaching Empty Re: 4.7 beta and Geocaching

Post  orux Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:42 pm

febs wrote:I am beta-testing the new release.
Two quick notes:

At first run, I opened the "offline maps", I checked one among the available ones, and after some time "the application crashed". That happened only the first time.

Second; I wanted to test the new stuff about geocaching (read, loading of .loc files). I don't know what happens behind the scene, but when I use "c:geo" (that is a free tool for geocaching) I have the chance to "navigate" a waypoint. If I pick it, it ask for a program to use, and I chose Oruxmaps beta. If I remember it right, the following behavior was the same also with previous versions:

* If Oruxmaps was open already and running, it gets into the foreground (I mean, it becomes the active program) but its position remains in the latest one. In other words, I live in Italy, I was browsing around maps with Oruxmaps beta and I ended up over Nigeria.
Then I opened c:geo, I poke a cache nearby, I choose Oruxmaps beta to navigate a cache, Oruxmaps beta opened and it was still showing Nigeria.

*If Oruxmaps were previously NOT OPENED, it gets open exactly in the right spot. This (correct, at least that it points to the right place) behavior happens also if I just close the map view and I am in the Orux dashboard. Again, with other words: browse maps with orux, press "back" twice to exit map viewer, and get to the dashboard. Leave it there in the background, open c:geo, pick a cache, "navigate" it using Orux, a map in Orux gets loaded in the right position.

It would be nice also to have the facility to have a waypoint created (maybe automatically, if there isn't one already, or maybe asking to the user). I don't know what c:geo passes to Oruxmaps, but if there is any info attached to the coordinates, it could be awesome to use them (for instance, the name of the cache as the label for the waypoint).

From "c:geo" the "share link to cache" option still doesn't allow Oruxmaps among the valid programs. I don't know if that is feasible since I think it's some metadata (a Title, and the like) AND a HTTP link to coord.info. Many other services are allowed to be used (for instance, email or SMS, or springpad) but not a web browser.
If send the link via another app actually, like Springpad, and then try to open it again from there, I am offered to open it through any web browser OR the c:geo app itself.
If I finally choose any browser, in that window (if I am logged in) I am offered to download the .LOC file, then it works! Orux gets opened automatically and asks me for navigation options to that waypoint.

I hope this can be useful.

Cheers.

Hi, febs,

thanks for the feedback.

1.-next version will handle the intent right, when c:geo calls OruxMaps, a new geocache will be created in the map.

2.-OruxMaps can not handle an http link. You have to use another app to download the geocache from the web site.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  febs Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Well, after all there is no need to handle the HTTP link if Oruxmap can just import the geocache straightly.

Any plan to implement Orux as a geocaching client on its own using the API, in the future? I mean, for browsing nearby caches, log founds, and the like. It would be cool for cacher to have a all-in-one app: geocaching AND maps. One can even navigate the world and discover that there are caching nearby without even HUNTING for them.

febs

Cantidad de envíos : 139

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down