OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noob - how to use gdb data to create an offline map?

Go down

Noob - how to use gdb data to create an offline map? Empty Noob - how to use gdb data to create an offline map?

Post  Bulsatar Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:27 am

Hello Everyone,

I just got this program and I am trying to understand how it all works (new to anything gps related also!). Is there a way to either a) import the gpx data and mesh it with the map that I see on my android screen and then save it for offline or b) a desktop app that I can download that will do the same thing? I looked at Mobac but saw that everything was crossed out but the open streets maps, but I need this for back country gps locations....no roads.

Thanks for helping out the noob!

Bulsatar

Bulsatar

Back to top Go down

Noob - how to use gdb data to create an offline map? Empty Re: Noob - how to use gdb data to create an offline map?

Post  barte Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:37 am

Oruxmaps will import GPX data, but I'm uncertain what data you're referring to. GPX files encode tracks and waypoints--and the source for those is usually.....you: places you've been and recorded. Oruxmaps can also import map from a variety of online sources--on it's own, you don't need Mobac.

If you're interested in off-road trails, the selection, as you note, is thinner. But try Openstreetmap Cycle Map, which has both topo lines and trails. OSM Mapnik has trails, sans topo lines. Because OSM is essentially the map that anyone can edit, the completeness of the data varies from place to place. But of course, you can use data you've collected with Oruxmaps to contribute to OSM. I've been doing that for a while--and so the OSM maps around my house, and other places I hike, are now more complete.

barte

Cantidad de envíos : 57

Back to top Go down

Noob - how to use gdb data to create an offline map? Empty source of gpx files

Post  Bulsatar Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:26 am

I am downloading a trail file. This is for easier utilization of trail information and such. This will be the first time that I hike this particular trail and instead of the possibility of getting lost (make that most likely) I am trying to cover all of my bases so that way I don't get embarrassed by having the troupers come and look for me.

I will be in a place that I can't connect to internet or 3g from my carrier (at least their map says roaming) so I am looking for an offline way to use the google maps and the gps information together. You said that it could download the information, but I didn't see any option for that on the settings or anything. Where would I go to upload the gdb file?

Bulsatar

Back to top Go down

Noob - how to use gdb data to create an offline map? Empty Re: Noob - how to use gdb data to create an offline map?

Post  barte Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:50 pm

You can import and display GPX and KML (but not GBD) files by putting them in the oruxmaps/tracklogs directory on your phone. Then, from the list of tracks on Oruxmaps, there's a menu option to import that file into the track database. The final step is to load it either as a track or a route. I usually do the latter so that my track--the walk I'm actually doing--is separate. I apologize that these directions are a bit vague. I'm using the beta version, which has a somewhat different sequence of steps than the release version....but the idea is the same.

If you preload the map and GPX fie while you are connected, this should all work offline--just as with a dedicated GPS. You could turn off your data connections and test that theory at home. That would be better than having to engage search and rescue. ;-)

barte

Cantidad de envíos : 57

Back to top Go down

Noob - how to use gdb data to create an offline map? Empty got half of it

Post  bulsatar Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Ok, got how to load the files, make my own waypoints, etc *thank you much!*. However, I can not find anything to save/export the map I am currently viewing with the route data so I can use it offline. When I click maps, it just shows me the maps available online or the offline available (currently just world). When I click the route on the top banner it asks me if I want to unload the route, reverse the route, follow the route, or wpt. navigation

Thanks again for all of the help!!! always appreciated

bulsatar

Back to top Go down

Noob - how to use gdb data to create an offline map? Empty nevermind

Post  bulsatar Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Think I replied too soon. Just found the map creator in all of my button pushing (will have to go back to find out what I did to get to there) and am playing with it now.

Thanks again!

bulsatar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down