OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Get initial position from previous position

Go down

Get initial position from previous position Empty Get initial position from previous position

Post  63198745 Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:34 am

My phone is not a GSM phone. When I travel from the US to Europe, I like to use OruxMaps for navigating in older parts of cities with twisty streets.

The only problem I have is that it takes about 5 minutes to get a GPS fix without the initial position from the cell towers. I can leave the GPS on but that runs the batteries down, and, of course when I go into a building I lose my fix.

I have seen that an app called TidePredictor offers the menu option to use the last known position as an input to the GPS.

If OruxMaps could do that it would be wonderful. Then I would have to deal with the 5 minutes only one time in a given city!

thanks
Micheal

Back to top Go down

Get initial position from previous position Empty Couldn't we use the last known position as an initial value for the GPS?

Post  16319874 Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:13 am

Ola! I am posting this again because I never got any response to the first query:

My phone is not a GSM phone. So I don't have telephone service on it when I travel outside the US. But when I travel from the US to Europe, I like to use OruxMaps for navigating (on foot) in older parts of cities with twisty streets.

The only problem I have is that it takes about 5 minutes to get a GPS fix without the initial position from the cell towers. I could leave the GPS on but that runs the batteries down, and, of course when I go into a building I lose my fix and have to start over again.

I have just noticed that an app called TidePredictor offers a menu option to use the last known position as an input to the GPS.

If OruxMaps could do that it would be wonderful. Then I would have to deal with the 5 minutes only one time in a given city!
Could you consider making this improvement?

thanks
Micheal

Back to top Go down

Get initial position from previous position Empty Re: Get initial position from previous position

Post  orux Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 pm

16319874 wrote:Ola! I am posting this again because I never got any response to the first query:

My phone is not a GSM phone. So I don't have telephone service on it when I travel outside the US. But when I travel from the US to Europe, I like to use OruxMaps for navigating (on foot) in older parts of cities with twisty streets.

The only problem I have is that it takes about 5 minutes to get a GPS fix without the initial position from the cell towers. I could leave the GPS on but that runs the batteries down, and, of course when I go into a building I lose my fix and have to start over again.

I have just noticed that an app called TidePredictor offers a menu option to use the last known position as an input to the GPS.

Could you consider making this improvement?

thanks
Micheal

Hi, Michael;

I can not find 'TidePredictor' in the market; perhaps you are talking about 'TideApp'?

And I can not find this option (use the last known position as an input to the GPS) in android API.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Get initial position from previous position Empty Mea culpa

Post  16319874 Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:59 pm

Sorry --
The app name is Tide Prediction. The developer is Muchoviento.net
Maybe you could query him/her?

Micheal

Back to top Go down

Get initial position from previous position Empty I think I misled you

Post  16319874 Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:25 am

I brought up Tide Prediction and looked at the Menu item under Preferences.

The preference is "load last spot on startup, skips the search screen on startup."
It does not say that it uses this information to feed the GPS. It just
uses the harbor that you used last...

I apologize for feeding you false information.

Micheal

Back to top Go down

Get initial position from previous position Empty Re: Get initial position from previous position

Post  orux Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:20 pm

16319874 wrote:I brought up Tide Prediction and looked at the Menu item under Preferences.

The preference is "load last spot on startup, skips the search screen on startup."
It does not say that it uses this information to feed the GPS. It just
uses the harbor that you used last...

I apologize for feeding you false information.

Micheal

Hi,

do not worry,

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down