OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin GLO external Bluetooth GPS with Oruxmaps on Galaxy S2 - how to make it happen

Go down

Garmin GLO external Bluetooth GPS with Oruxmaps on Galaxy S2 - how to make it happen Empty Garmin GLO external Bluetooth GPS with Oruxmaps on Galaxy S2 - how to make it happen

Post  snedger Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Hello
Was so fed up with my Galaxy S2's GPS showing me as someone who could not walk in a straight line! (when sober that is)

Found out about the Garmin GLO Bluetooth External GPS receiver and have at last got my hands on one.

I cannot get the GLO to pair with with my bare Galaxy S2 bluetooth - a Garmin UK technical support chap claims that he can - but I cannot get a solid blue light on my GLO, like he claimed.

What is required is the interceding Android app Bluetooth GPS.
How to make Oruxmaps live happily ever after with the Garmin GLO:

1. bluetooth pair with device in usual android way (although no passcode is needed).
  2. run Bluetooth GPS:
  3. main screen - tick the box for Enable Mock GPS Provider.
    settings - tick Use Insecure Connection (I did not have to also tick Connection Workaround).
  4. And Connect - the blue led on the GLO should go solid.
  5. run Oruxmaps:
  6. Settings/GPS under External GPS select the GLO from the paired device list.
  7. And I ticked the Retry when lost option, as I do not want my phone turning on the internal GPS without me knowing.
  8. And then when starting GPS I select Start GPS and NOT Start Ext GPS - this does not start up the internal GPS, it just uses the external GPS in Mock GPS Provider mode.

Post might be a bit early, as so far have not moved outside - but the locator is spot on to my house.
I will post back later if I find that the GLO is NOT better than the Galaxy S2 internal GPS.
Cheers
snedger

p.s. thanks for such a great app - I hope that everyone who uses Oruxmaps has donated Smile

snedger

Cantidad de envíos : 4

Back to top Go down

Garmin GLO external Bluetooth GPS with Oruxmaps on Galaxy S2 - how to make it happen Empty Re: Garmin GLO external Bluetooth GPS with Oruxmaps on Galaxy S2 - how to make it happen

Post  snedger Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Hello
Just a quick update on my hands on experience.

Accuracy is laser accurate. Beware of becoming reliant on map without eyeballing landmarks!

Unit does not ship FULLY charged Smile

Power button is very sensitive - unit has turned on through pocket/backpack bump twice so far - 2nd time ended up with very inconvenient flat battery. Battery compartment is quite fiddly for frequent battery removal and besides that would not curtail an accidental switch off, so am going to bodge a switch cover.

Not totally sure whether battery usage has improved, as like so many other S2 owners, battery drain has become catastrophic since ICS. Am about to give phone to my son when Note 2 comes out, so am not going to bother trying a factory reset.

Basic conclusion is that I am 100% satisfied.

Smile

snedger

Back to top Go down

Garmin GLO external Bluetooth GPS with Oruxmaps on Galaxy S2 - how to make it happen Empty Re: Garmin GLO external Bluetooth GPS with Oruxmaps on Galaxy S2 - how to make it happen

Post  snedger Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Got to use it today in heavily wooded area.

Pretty much perfect.

Apart from stopping at the Shepherd and Dog in Fulking when there was no indication of problem, but GPS locator symbol did not move for ages after setting off. Had to reset all software to be certain where I was - annoying waste of 5 minutes - would have welcomed some sort of GPS failure graphic, rather than just noticing that GPS marker was not moving.
Had a lovely time walking over to Bramber (from the Devils Dyke outside of Brighton, England) - apart from there was the London to Brighton cycle ride on and good number of participants were too self conceited to care about safety.
Cheers
Ian Gough

snedger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down