OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Map for Android phone from .jpg and .jgw files

3 posters

Go down

Map for Android phone from .jpg and .jgw files Empty Map for Android phone from .jpg and .jgw files

Post  MB Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:32 am

Hello,
I have a large (3 GB) map in .jpg and .jgw format (ca 75 different pairs of files which together cover a geographical area). I would like to use this map on my Android phone (Htc Desire) in offline mode. Could someone take me through the necessary steps in the process of converting these maps to a format that can be used by Oruxmaps?

MB

Cantidad de envíos : 70

Back to top Go down

Map for Android phone from .jpg and .jgw files Empty Norsk?

Post  Hakoon Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Struggling with the same problem.

Hakoon

Back to top Go down

Map for Android phone from .jpg and .jgw files Empty Re: Map for Android phone from .jpg and .jgw files

Post  MB Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Hello, fellow Norwegian,
I have done some research, but I still haven't had time to test if the following procedure will work:

Download Oziexplorer - free version, and lauch the "test" version.

http://www.oziexplorer.com/

This version will close down after one hour, but this should be sufficient in order to convert the .jgw files (and only these) to the format used by Oziexplorer.

Then download Orux Desktop and convert these files (images a n d converted data files) to the format used by orux maps.

I hope this procedure will work for creating maps that can be used on my Android phone. If you have other purposes, I am not the right person to ask.

If this does not word, another option is perhaps to disregard the .jgw files altogether, and use the method "from scratch" described by orux on this site.

Please let me know if you have any success. I would be especially interested in the GPS accuracy of the maps.

Another way of creating (smaller) maps for Android phones with the free app Orux Maps (using Mobile Atlas Creator 1.8. alpha) is described by Orux on these pages. In Norway, this works very well because the Statkart and Eniro databases have recently been made publicly accesible. I have used this method successfully myself. However, the Statkart Topo 2 database has a download limit of 10000 tiles per ip address per day. (Really no challenge for people with bad intentions, I presume.) To my knowledge, Eniro does not currently have this limit, but ther maps are less suitable for trekking etc.

MB

Back to top Go down

Map for Android phone from .jpg and .jgw files Empty Re: Map for Android phone from .jpg and .jgw files

Post  Hakon Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:20 pm

I am manually converting them but it takes for ever

Hakon

Back to top Go down

Post  MB Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:54 pm

Well, the files are big. Picasa crashes on my laptop when I attempt to show the bigger images on the screen, but curiously, the Desire shows them correctly. The zooming function is insufficient, however. If the phone's image viewing software had allowed 20 or 30x zoom, one could use the images without GPS support, or use GPS-marked details combined with Orux maps. Perhaps there is a better image viewing app in the Android Market.

A problem with these files is that they only contain one zoom layer. This reduces the user-friendlyness drastically - especially on small screens. If you use Mobile Atlas Creator, you can choose as many layers as you want - and only download the high-resolution zoom levels where you really need them.

By the way, what do you mean by "manually".

Lykke til!

MB

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:51 pm

MB wrote:Well, the files are big. Picasa crashes on my laptop when I attempt to show the bigger images on the screen, but curiously, the Desire shows them correctly. The zooming function is insufficient, however. If the phone's image viewing software had allowed 20 or 30x zoom, one could use the images without GPS support, or use GPS-marked details combined with Orux maps. Perhaps there is a better image viewing app in the Android Market.

A problem with these files is that they only contain one zoom layer. This reduces the user-friendlyness drastically - especially on small screens. If you use Mobile Atlas Creator, you can choose as many layers as you want - and only download the high-resolution zoom levels where you really need them.

By the way, what do you mean by "manually".

Lykke til!

Hi;

I think jgw is the same as tfw:

jgw:
1.50000000000000 (X scale, pixel size in meters)
0.00000000000000 (translation factor)
0.00000000000000 (rotation factor)
-1.50000000000000 (Y scale)
1934001.50000000000000 (X coordinate of the upper left pixel)
1187698.50000000000000 (Y coordinate of the upper left pixel)

tfw:

OruxMapsDesktop can read tfw files. But You have to know projection and Datum, because these information is not inside tfw file.

If you know projection and datum, you can use oruxmapsdesktop.

Could you send me a .map file created from a .jgw file with Ozi?

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  MB Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Orux,
It turns out that the Trial version of Ozi does not support conversion of this file type. However, I seem to have found a way around this problem - Ozi versions of this map are apparently already available online. If Hakon is interested, he can send me a PM for details.

MB

Back to top Go down

Post  MB Fri May 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi,
Today, I finally had the opportunity to work with Orux Desktop and the jpg / jgw files. It turns out that Orux is right, the jgw files apparently contain the same info as a tfw file. After manually changing the file name, I could use the files with Orux Desktop. However, Orux Desktop assumes that the coordinate (UTM grid) of the upper left pixel is in the southern hemisphere - but places the lower left pixel correctly. After I had changed S to N in the "choice box", the program created a map without problems, although some calibration (done by adding/subtracting a few meters to the UTM grid coordinates of the two pixels) was necessary. I assume that it was necessary to calibrate the map in this way because the original jpg/jgw files were imprecise.

Thanks for your advice!

MB

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat May 08, 2010 12:18 pm

MB wrote:Hi,
Today, I finally had the opportunity to work with Orux Desktop and the jpg / jgw files. It turns out that Orux is right, the jgw files apparently contain the same info as a tfw file. After manually changing the file name, I could use the files with Orux Desktop. However, Orux Desktop assumes that the coordinate (UTM grid) of the upper left pixel is in the southern hemisphere - but places the lower left pixel correctly. After I had changed S to N in the "choice box", the program created a map without problems, although some calibration (done by adding/subtracting a few meters to the UTM grid coordinates of the two pixels) was necessary. I assume that it was necessary to calibrate the map in this way because the original jpg/jgw files were imprecise.

Thanks for your advice!

Ok,

I will solve 'S' problem with OruxMapsDesktop.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Map for Android phone from .jpg and .jgw files Empty sv

Post  sv Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:27 pm

so how is it going? working? if so, let us have a guide? Smile

i would really like to have topo maps from statkart if i buy HTC Desire.

sv

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:35 pm

sv wrote:so how is it going? working? if so, let us have a guide? Smile

i would really like to have topo maps from statkart if i buy HTC Desire.

Do you have maps calibrated with a .jgw file?

Change the name to .tfw; then you can use it with OruxMapsDesktop.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  GammelGr Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:11 am

Would it be possible to add jgw as source for calibration file, and with jgw look for jpg image file?
jgw and jpg normally comes in pair as tfw and tiff do.

In OruxMapsDesktop, would it be possible in the batch conversion tab to add settings for projection and datum?
If the projection and datum is not found in the loaded calibration file those settings could be used.

GammelGr

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:01 pm

GammelGr wrote:Would it be possible to add jgw as source for calibration file, and with jgw look for jpg image file?
jgw and jpg normally comes in pair as tfw and tiff do.

In OruxMapsDesktop, would it be possible in the batch conversion tab to add settings for projection and datum?
If the projection and datum is not found in the loaded calibration file those settings could be used.

Hi;

Yes; added to my 'todo' list

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  GammelGreggan Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Another thing regarding OruxMapsDesktop; in conversion tab it is possible to set RT90:swedish but in batch conversion tab using oziexplorer calibration map-fil containing RT90 does not work.
GammelGreggan
GammelGreggan

Cantidad de envíos : 28

http://www.gregow.se

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:55 pm

GammelGreggan wrote:Another thing regarding OruxMapsDesktop; in conversion tab it is possible to set RT90:swedish but in batch conversion tab using oziexplorer calibration map-fil containing RT90 does not work.

Hi;

OruxMaps does not know all the datum names used in Ozi.

If you want to automatize this datum, you have to add in Ozi2Orux.txt file (inside OruxMapsDesktop folder) a new line:

'datum in ozi'|RT90Swedish

'datum in ozi' is how .map file calls this datum.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  GammelGreggan Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Nice, thanks.
I also had to fake Swedish grid by replacing with UTM for batch conversion to work.
GammelGreggan
GammelGreggan

Cantidad de envíos : 28

http://www.gregow.se

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down