OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ETE - time calculation

4 posters

Go down

ETE - time calculation Empty ETE - time calculation

Post  gmmikele Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi, there.

Excelent app! Just installed and testing. All compliments to developers.

As a helicopter pilot I was just looking for app that can combine off line and on line maps and Orux can do this excellent. I'll certainly sponsor app soon. Smile

From my point of View and what we are often looking for is a fast time and heading to destination calculation, specially in EMS operations. With off-line maps I can point to destination on ground or from helicopter during flight and I can read out distance and heading at a glance what is very useful when time counts. No time needed for detailed flight plan preparation etc...

I am wondering if it is possible to "integrate" kind of module or selector or setting menu where I could enter our estimated average speed (which is actually pre-defined with the type of the helicopter) and I could get out next to heading and distance also estimate time to destination.

I have to excuse my self if this topic has already been discussed somewhere else and would appreciate feedback,

Best regards and keep on going, folks,

Mike

gmmikele

Cantidad de envíos : 5

Back to top Go down

ETE - time calculation Empty Re: ETE - time calculation

Post  orux Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:33 pm

gmmikele wrote:Hi, there.

Excelent app! Just installed and testing. All compliments to developers.

As a helicopter pilot I was just looking for app that can combine off line and on line maps and Orux can do this excellent. I'll certainly sponsor app soon. Smile

From my point of View and what we are often looking for is a fast time and heading to destination calculation, specially in EMS operations. With off-line maps I can point to destination on ground or from helicopter during flight and I can read out distance and heading at a glance what is very useful when time counts. No time needed for detailed flight plan preparation etc...

I am wondering if it is possible to "integrate" kind of module or selector or setting menu where I could enter our estimated average speed (which is actually pre-defined with the type of the helicopter) and I could get out next to heading and distance also estimate time to destination.

I have to excuse my self if this topic has already been discussed somewhere else and would appreciate feedback,

Best regards and keep on going, folks,

Mike

Hi, Mike;

Thanks;

Soon I'll add different algorithms to calculate ETE, ETA, ...

I now use the current speed filtered by the previous values. But I can introduce other forms, such as a constant value.

orux

orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  gmmikele Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi, Orux.

Yes, works nice with actual speed how ever predefined would be appreciated.

I am not sure if next 2 items are covered indeed...

- from my point often there is no need for creating a way point meaning that would be convinient having also option (when making long press) to choose route in a manner of GoTo or direct to. Normally I search for a city or place on the map than make a "long press" to that point i would like fly to.

- search engine for cities on on-line maps, and than GoTo or DirectTo option.

Regards,

Mike

gmmikele

Cantidad de envíos : 5

Back to top Go down

ETE - time calculation Empty ETE/ETA based on crurent ground speed

Post  AirForce24 Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:17 pm

hello,

first of all, I would like to congratulate you for your fantastic work.

Indeed I'm a helicopter pilot too and I like to use Oruxmap.

However, it will be better if we can use the current ground speed instead of average speed (?) to compute the ETA/ETE.
Moreover, setting the ETE time to a waypoint (as for example, wanting to reach waypoint number 2 at 12:00 UTC) and displaying the accurate ground speed to obtain in order to be on time on waypoint, will be very nice.
I hope to be clear!
Thanks a lot

AirForce24

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Icarus Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:39 am

The ability to change ETE/ETA based on current groundspeed or average groundspeed is selectable in the menu.

Look in Settings - Tracks/Routes - Use Avg. speed.

In the absence of this item being checked, current groundspeed is being used.

I also request 'groundspeed required' to achieve a particular time at a waypoint. It would be a very nice feature for aviation. Have a look at this post and tell me what you think -

https://oruxmaps.forumotion.com/t3465-route-plan-trip-computer-view#13424

Icarus

Cantidad de envíos : 104

Back to top Go down

ETE - time calculation Empty ETE - Time calculation

Post  AirForce24 Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:09 am

Indeed, I think it will be very interesting to have a kind of board like you suggest.

But regarding ETE/ETA based on current ground speed, I think there is a problem:

- I displayed "True track direction (GPS)" and "True bearing to target" at the upper dashboard (both values were the same)
- the ground speed was steady, constant.
- the option "Use Avg. speed" was not checked

Depending on those items, your ETA should be steady and should not change.

ETA displayed on my screen were unconstant, decreasing and more and more accurate coming close to the target.

So I conclude that option "Use Avg. speed" unchecked means calculation is based on average ground speed from the beginning to the current time.
Of course, if you consider the option is checked, the manual speed entered is used to compute the ETA.

What do you think about that ?

Thank you and I hope Orux take into account our comments. Nice work.

AirForce24

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Icarus Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:30 am

Interesting observation. My presumption was the software uses current groundspeed with distance to go for ETA/ETE.

Perhaps Orux could confirm?

Icarus

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Icarus wrote:Interesting observation. My presumption was the software uses current groundspeed with distance to go for ETA/ETE.

Perhaps Orux could confirm?

Hi;

No; OruxMaps uses average speed of current segment and distance to calculate ETA/ETE.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Icarus Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:14 am

Hi Orux,

Thanks for clarifying. Now I realise averaging is being used, could you consider an option to allow instantaneous groundspeed to be used for ETE/ETA calculation.

Instantaneous groundspeed is useful as you vary speed to achieve a required time at a waypoint. Immediate feedback using current groundspeed is required to stop the acceleration to hold a desired ETA.

Hope that makes sense???

Icarus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down