OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beta 3.5.7 observations

2 posters

Go down

Beta 3.5.7  observations Empty Beta 3.5.7 observations

Post  Psycogeek Sun May 15, 2011 5:22 am

Soooo cool. The programs is AWESOME, i am just saying what i see. I am not complaining at all, just relaying all the info
90% of what i am writing is probably redundant known and unnessisary, but that is what i see.

Buttons:
New B/W icon items, are easy to see. not so easy for new person to know what they are nessisarily. (should be great improvement once i am used to it)
When Editing Buttons bar, the descriptions of each item are very usefull. some of the new items do not yet have description.
Bottom button bar: Un-Hide click for this bar is above dashboard items, but bar itself appears below dashboard items.
(where you click to get it to show, is not same location as where it shows)

Old Dashboard:
The 3 Item User configurable "Top Dashboard" , which i had set for speed and altitude , does not show when in alternate mode. Although it is also not as needed as it was before, now that the other stuff is still configurable, and now big enough.

New dashboard:
New Alternate Dashboard items are large, but seem very narrow. which is probably a good thing being narrow so much text can fit easily.
Because the text is now BIG, a height adjustment alone would be nice, that way it can "fit" different orientations and sizes.

Background for new dashboard says "clear" & "black" is actually "white" and "black", but there is not a clear or 100% transparent. (which might not work anyway)
(a 100% transparent would only work well with a outline around the text, adjustable transparency would be Fun)
Text colors, would be nice if user can select "any color" using color picker, a full "yellow" might be nice. It would also be wonderfull if each item could have different colors.

When curser set to Low on screen, it needs to (somehow) take into account how much stuff might be on the bottom of the screen. especially with new dashboard, curser is lost behind dashboard in landscape modes.

TapHide for the new dashboard, should work great, but i will try it for a few hours in actual hiking use and see. If the 3 Prime user items (top dashboard) still existed, hiding the rest of that stuff most of the time would be perfect. So if top dashboard was working again, that might just cover it completly.

New ZOOM settings: define the layer zoom or digital zoom, good way to "lock out" layers or digital zooming for each zoom interface style. I dont have multitouch so i was able to lock Buttons to layer, and volume buttons to digital.
Something funny here, i have not confirmed, when digital zoomed , and locked to layers, layer zoom failed somehow? would not switch layers . . . more info when i figure it out.

Psudo3D:
I switched it in Tweaks, and i think the program completly crashed, it just dissapeared, not even "force close"
I rebooted, to make sure i had more free memory available, but it still does not work yet.
Does not bother normal operations, when it is OFF, so that is big improvment over other beta.

Night Mode:
working beautifull now, Sets only Backlight level ? i donno but it is working great now on my machine.

Stats and graphs:
Could use Back button, even hidden back button.
when in Full Screen mode with my machine, and its limited buttons, i have to get out of full screen to leave graph and stats. I need some way to get out of stats and graphs, whatever it is. it could be hidden back button, actual back button, or for IT to jump out of full screen for those items like settings does.
(getting back and forth between full screen is a pain in the butt on the archos, and there is not normal android buttons available like most devices)

New Compass or "trip computer" display:
awesome, configurable, large , nice selection of text and background. Configurable is a big plus.
only thing noticed is i dont know what all the Icons are again yet.
Compass item is now working with my system, which didnt have an actual compass.

Machine: Archos 5IT , android 1.6 4.8" screen 800x480 resistive touch screen, accelerometer, gps no magnetic compass.
Instalation was done by Un-Installing OruxMaps first, then installing beta fresh (maps still there)

Track Logging:
was working many times, then i had everything set the way i wanted it, started a REAL tracking , and it force closed, deleted the old tracks, still force close. this basically ended the tests, i dont know what happened , but i can no longer track with this particualr beta.

i am now testing 3.5.8

Psycogeek

Cantidad de envíos : 53

Back to top Go down

Beta 3.5.7  observations Empty 3.5.8 Observations

Post  Psycogeek Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 am

well skip that one :-)
the new 3.5.8 beta doesnt have half the problems, and the menu is now redesigned into sections.
sweet work , i think i am gonna like testing this one.

i will detail things as i find them in this same thread.

compass is spelled wrong in Menu | User interface | miscelaeous UI | Compas Always visable
(because i cant spell any of that myself i dont really care :-)

Psudo 3D still just closes out the program on my machine.

zooms all do what i would expect. using buttons locked to layers, and volume locked to digital zoom, everything worked pretty good here.

Map changing: the new [.] button which shows the maps that exist at my position , helps a lot, before it was a tweak item to show all the maps that are at the current posititon, now it is just a button, one click :-)

track logging is now working ok , so far.
Can now get into GPS status While track logging.

Navigating to a waypoint that i placed manually worked, a thin dark red line between me and the way point.
but i still do not understand why "track logging" and "navigating to" a user placed waypoint are one in the same, but at least i can "continue" a track that i am making, and place a waypoint to where i am heading. Would be nice if i could color this line differentally and make it bigger, it was not always easy to see with photo aerial picture.
this has to be the FIRST time that navigating to a waypoint has worked without any kind of fail or problem.

The "indicator buttons" that show gps , track logging are now single color yellow, still works good. ok so i Miss the cute red "recording" icon that showed that i was track logging.

no "top Dashboard" when in alternate dash. I really would want that item back, and for the top dashbords 3 items to Stay on screen, while i hide and unhide the rest of the items.

Previous mentions:
the Pop-up that shows Map name has always been wonderfull, that way i do not have to have the map name shown constant.
Hiding, and showing of stuff, and user configuring of that, has always been very usefull , so you can get a clean full map AND the data too.
being able to set the digital zoom when a new level loads is great to, i use 2 different ways of viewing, one hand held, and one with a eye-viewer, being able to set this "default Map zoom" has been a big saver.
Zoom "default" button (in between + & - ) now zooms back to "default zoom" instead of "100%".
- - - - still testing.

Psycogeek

Cantidad de envíos : 53

Back to top Go down

Beta 3.5.7  observations Empty Re: Beta 3.5.7 observations

Post  orux Fri May 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Psycogeek wrote:well skip that one :-)
the new 3.5.8 beta doesnt have half the problems, and the menu is now redesigned into sections.
sweet work , i think i am gonna like testing this one.

i will detail things as i find them in this same thread.

compass is spelled wrong in Menu | User interface | miscelaeous UI | Compas Always visable
(because i cant spell any of that myself i dont really care :-)

Psudo 3D still just closes out the program on my machine.

zooms all do what i would expect. using buttons locked to layers, and volume locked to digital zoom, everything worked pretty good here.

Map changing: the new [.] button which shows the maps that exist at my position , helps a lot, before it was a tweak item to show all the maps that are at the current posititon, now it is just a button, one click :-)

track logging is now working ok , so far.
Can now get into GPS status While track logging.

Navigating to a waypoint that i placed manually worked, a thin dark red line between me and the way point.
but i still do not understand why "track logging" and "navigating to" a user placed waypoint are one in the same, but at least i can "continue" a track that i am making, and place a waypoint to where i am heading. Would be nice if i could color this line differentally and make it bigger, it was not always easy to see with photo aerial picture.
this has to be the FIRST time that navigating to a waypoint has worked without any kind of fail or problem.

The "indicator buttons" that show gps , track logging are now single color yellow, still works good. ok so i Miss the cute red "recording" icon that showed that i was track logging.

no "top Dashboard" when in alternate dash. I really would want that item back, and for the top dashbords 3 items to Stay on screen, while i hide and unhide the rest of the items.

Previous mentions:
the Pop-up that shows Map name has always been wonderfull, that way i do not have to have the map name shown constant.
Hiding, and showing of stuff, and user configuring of that, has always been very usefull , so you can get a clean full map AND the data too.
being able to set the digital zoom when a new level loads is great to, i use 2 different ways of viewing, one hand held, and one with a eye-viewer, being able to set this "default Map zoom" has been a big saver.
Zoom "default" button (in between + & - ) now zooms back to "default zoom" instead of "100%".
- - - - still testing.

Hi, thanks again;

about crashes; please, install aLogcat, then send me a log after a crash, for example, trying to use pseudo3d view.

about wpt navigation. OruxMaps needs some information that only is provided when tracklogging mode, for example avg. speed.

upper dashboard: I have removed it with new dashboard, because of the reduced space with the new dashboard. I will study a solution,

regards,

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Beta 3.5.7  observations Empty Re: Beta 3.5.7 observations

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down