OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto GPS on/Off to keep battery's life

3 posters

Go down

Auto GPS on/Off to keep battery's life Empty Auto GPS on/Off to keep battery's life

Post  dodfr Mon May 02, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi,

It would be nice if OruxMap could be set to retrieve position only every xx minutes (for example every 30 minutes) but turning GPS ON only the time needed for position retrieval, this way the Smartphone battery would be ok for a day or more and that's important for long hikes.

regards.

dodfr

Cantidad de envíos : 30

Back to top Go down

Auto GPS on/Off to keep battery's life Empty Re: Auto GPS on/Off to keep battery's life

Post  orux Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 pm

dodfr wrote:Hi,

It would be nice if OruxMap could be set to retrieve position only every xx minutes (for example every 30 minutes) but turning GPS ON only the time needed for position retrieval, this way the Smartphone battery would be ok for a day or more and that's important for long hikes.

regards.

Hi;

You can set minimal time in settings to '2 minutes'. The gps will remain disabled most of the time, and you will save a lot of power.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Auto GPS on/Off to keep battery's life Empty Re: Auto GPS on/Off to keep battery's life

Post  dodfr Tue May 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Thank you i'll try this.

dodfr

Back to top Go down

Post  dodfr Wed May 04, 2011 8:22 am

OK, I checked this setting but it still use a lot GPS because of the time needed by GPS chipset to get position, it would be cool to add a 5, 10, 30, 60 minutes in the menu so everybody would be happy especially for mountain's long hikes as position record every 30 minutes is largely enought (moutain hiking with heavy load make people walk very slow).

dodfr

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed May 04, 2011 3:26 pm

dodfr wrote:OK, I checked this setting but it still use a lot GPS because of the time needed by GPS chipset to get position, it would be cool to add a 5, 10, 30, 60 minutes in the menu so everybody would be happy especially for mountain's long hikes as position record every 30 minutes is largely enought (moutain hiking with heavy load make people walk very slow).

No problem;

added,

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  dodfr Thu May 05, 2011 10:14 am

Hi,

I tested the 2 minutes delay (until the new delay version is available) and when I start recording, the GPS icon in Android notification appear but stay visible all the record time duration, so it means that the GPS chipset is electricaly active (and use battery) or am I wrong ? Do you really "disconnect" from GPS between each 2 mins position retrieval ? I thought the GPS icon would appear briefly only every 2 mins.

But may be I am wrong and it is not because GPS icon is visible that it is electricaly active ?

regards.

dodfr

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Thu May 05, 2011 5:59 pm

dodfr wrote:Hi,

I tested the 2 minutes delay (until the new delay version is available) and when I start recording, the GPS icon in Android notification appear but stay visible all the record time duration, so it means that the GPS chipset is electricaly active (and use battery) or am I wrong ? Do you really "disconnect" from GPS between each 2 mins position retrieval ? I thought the GPS icon would appear briefly only every 2 mins.

But may be I am wrong and it is not because GPS icon is visible that it is electricaly active ?

regards.

Hi; it should be off (working fine in my nexus, even with 4 seconds delay, the gps is turned off).

Which device-android version?

Sure you do not have any other gps application working in background?

orux

orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  dodfr Thu May 05, 2011 6:50 pm

Yes, it's a fresh new Defy 2.2 and OruxMap is the only app running when I test it.

dodfr

Back to top Go down

Auto GPS on/Off to keep battery's life Empty External GPS over bluetooth

Post  trdi Wed May 25, 2011 1:58 pm

I will ask this here since it is similar and connected with original theme.

Is there way to do the same or similar thing for external GPS which connect to phone over bluetooth?

I am using Xperia X8 and have also external GPS so my battery can live longer. It will be nice if there will be an option which will every few seconds or minutes ( depending which interval will user define or chose predefined option ) turn off Bluetooth on the phone, and turn on again in order to get coordinates from external GSP dongle. In that way battery on the phone will last even longer, and since external GPS dongle is all the time connected to satellite, an have Bluetooth ON, there will be no delay in time and need to wait for GPS signal. Just Bluetooth interval ON/OFF.

trdi

Cantidad de envíos : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down